History
The Grand Hôtel d’Oran was completed in 1920, at the end of a building campaign lasting some thirty years. It closed in 2010, stood empty for ten years, and reopened in 2025. This page gathers what is documented — and flags what is not.
On method
Every fact published here carries its source. Where a single source reports it, we say so. Where two sources conflict, we give both. Where an anecdote belongs to oral tradition, it is presented as such. The provenance and rights of every document reproduced are set out on the credits page.
The building
Five floors, a built area of roughly 6,485 m² on a plot of 506 m². The façade is stone: corbels, mascarons, cornices, wrought-iron balconies, a slate mansard roof. The press describes it as neo-classical.
A period postcard held by the hotel carries, beneath the view of the façade, the printed line: “ORAN — Le Grand Hôtel (S. Ch. Holl, arch.)”. A page devoted to Oran’s heritage gives the same name, Charles Holl. We have found no academic source to confirm it: we therefore publish the attribution as it appears on the document, and no further.
Inside, the entrance hall is covered by a yellow stained-glass skylight, framed by six fan-shaped lunettes — yellow, cyan and pink glass, beneath cream stucco and mascarons. The date of this glass is not established: original work restored, or a creation of the restoration, the answer is still to come.
The canopy
In the period photograph of the entrance, a vast fan-shaped canopy of iron and glass unfolds above the archway and reaches far over the pavement. It is ribbed, deep, and forms the set piece of the façade.
The canopy sheltering the entrance today is another structure: smaller, flatter, it takes up the fan motif without recovering its scale. We do not know whether it is a reconstruction or a reinterpretation, and we will not write it until the architects have said so.
What is certain lies in the comparison of the two images: the round arch, its masonry and its voussoirs are the same. And the fan motif runs through the whole building — the 1920 canopy, the six lunettes of the hall, today’s awning.
The square
The hotel occupies number 5, place du Maghreb, which was called place de la Bastille until independence. It faces the main post office, whose building closes the square to the north.
The Bibliothèque nationale de France holds an album of forty views of Oran, assembled by the Société de Géographie between 1910 and 1929. Plate 140 is captioned “La Poste et la Place de la Bastille”: it shows the planted square, its circular basin, the post office beyond — and the façade of the Grand Hôtel along the entire left edge of the frame. These documents are in the public domain.
What the house has been through
-
c. 1890
Construction begins. The works will run for some thirty years. Reported by a single source; the exact duration remains to be established.
-
1920
The building is completed. Five floors, a neo-classical stone façade, mascarons and ironwork. A period postcard bears the line “S. Ch. Holl, arch.”. Date corroborated by six sources, including the hotel’s own crest.
-
1920s
The hotel is in operation. A photographic postcard carries the printed line “G. Guérin, Directeur”. Read on the document itself; the exact period of his management is not established.
-
1960s–1970s
The salons host meetings of Oran’s academic and associative circles. From these gatherings the Emir Abdelkader Foundation will emerge. Reported by the local press; the founding date remains to be confirmed.
-
2010
Closure, following non-renewal of the operating licence. Ten years of vacancy will follow. Corroborated; sources differ on the month (June or July).
-
2017
The building is taken over by EGT Ouest, the Western Tourism Management Company. National press, September 2017.
-
2020
The restoration works begin, conducted so as to preserve the original architecture and ornamentation. One source places the effective start of works in August 2021.
-
March 2024
Works are reported at 80 % completion. Regional press, 9 March 2024.
-
February 2025
The house reopens to the public after four years of works. National and regional press.
-
24 May 2025
Official inauguration, in the presence of the Minister of Tourism and Handicrafts. The hotel is rated four stars: 82 rooms, 14 suites, 5 connecting rooms, 132 beds across five floors. National press, May 2025.
The Emir Abdelkader Foundation
In the 1960s and 1970s, the salons of the Grand Hôtel hosted meetings of Oran’s academic and associative circles. The local press reports that the Emir Abdelkader Foundation was born of those gatherings.
Of everything told about this house, it is the most verifiable episode — and the one whose precise date and minutes we are still seeking. If you hold a document on those meetings, the front desk will pass it on.
The guest register
- Charles de Gaulle Leader of Free France, later President of the French Republic
- Marcel Cerdan Boxer, world middleweight champion in 1948
- Édith Piaf Singer
- Abdelaziz Bouteflika President of the Algerian Republic
These four names are carried by Oran’s collective memory and repeated by the local press. To this day, none of these stays is dated by a consultable document. We publish them as such, and we are looking for the dates.
The restoration
Closed in 2010, the building stood empty for more than ten years. EGT Ouest took charge of it in 2017, and the works opened in 2020. The aim was integrated conservation: façade, ornament and original character preserved while the building services were rebuilt.
In March 2024, the works were reported at 80 % completion. The house reopened to the public in February 2025 and was officially inaugurated on 24 May 2025, in the presence of the Minister of Tourism and Handicrafts. It is rated four stars: 82 rooms, 14 suites, 5 connecting rooms, 132 beds across five floors.
What we are looking for
A dated stay among those in the register. The exact date of the meetings from which the Emir Abdelkader Foundation emerged. The publisher of the postcards held by the hotel. The full name and career of the architect. If you hold a document, a photograph or a dated recollection, the front desk will collect it.